Learn More About Royal-Pedic Bedding
- Staple Cotton Padding
- Natural Latex
- New Zealand Lamb's Wool
- Hand Tufting
- Royal-Pedic Box Spring
- Royal-Flex Innerspring Unit
- The 7-Zone Natural Latex Core
Go back to:
- Luxury Mattresses & Box Springs
- Allergy Bedding Comparison and Review
Staple Cotton Padding
Only the finest cotton batting from California and Texas is used. Cotton is the main padding ingredient used by Royal-Pedic - it is both comfortable and durable.
Natural materials ventilate body heat and provide greater durability than polyurethane foam - the main padding ingredient found in other mattresses. Royal-Pedic does not use polyurethane due to its limited ability to provide consistent body support over time - the foam cells weaken and collapse with use causing significant indentations in the mattress in many cases, which affects overall back support and comfort. Many companies that offer mattresses using polyurethane foam padding know that this material can likely break down during the warranty period. That's why some of these companies put in their warranty that they only will repair the mattress if the compression is greater than 2" deep!
Moreover, for health reasons Royal-Pedic chooses to use natural materials instead of polyurethane foam. The human body works like a heater that, in combination with polyurethane padding, can trigger allergic, respiratory, and chemical reactions in some people. With Royal-Pedic mattresses free of polyurethane, you are safe from that.
Natural LatexNatural latex used by Royal-Pedic is certified healthy and ecologically friendly by strict European standards.
Produced from the rubber tree plantations of Indonesia and Malaysia, the natural latex is harvested by tapping into the rubber tree in much the same way as maple syrup from the maple tree. Shipped to a modern processing plant, the milky white latex is converted into cores for Royal-Pedic's latex mattresses, pillowtop pads, and Sleepland natural latex contour pillows.
The advantages of using natural latex in mattresses, pillowtop pads, and pillows include:
- naturally dust mite repellant
- Provides motionless comfort for undisturbed sleep
- Designed for "breathability" with an open cell structure and special "pin-core" construction which allows for ventilation of body heat.
- Retains its firmness level, regardless of room temperature, unlike temperature sensitive visco-elastic foam mattresses or pillows.
- Maintains independent support even when two people of different body weights sleep on the mattress.
- Improved circulation due to the inherent suppleness of latex. It sooths and relaxes muscles, while still providing proper support for the body.
New Zealand Lamb's WoolRoyal-Pedic uses untreated, New Zealand lamb's wool in many of it's mattresses and pillowtop pads directly underneath the covering as padding for added comfort and a restful night's sleep. The wool used is 100% pure, not blended with any polyester.
The advantages of using untreated wool in mattresses, pillowtop pads, and pillows include:
- Wool acts as a natural barrier to dust mites - lamb's wool naturally contains lanolin, which makes the wool dust mite resistant. And since the lamb's wool is the material directly underneath the covering of many of Royal-Pedic's mattresses and pillowtop pads, you won't have to worry about mites burrowing into the mattress.
- Wool is naturally flame resistant - it will not ignite or melt in fire.
- Hypoallergenic - some people are allergic to wool if it comes in direct contact with their skin. Since the wool in underneath the cotton mattress covering, which is underneath the mattress pad, which is underneath the fitted sheet, and since wool is odorless, you can be rest assured of not having any reaction to the wool.
- Free of Chemicals - untreated lamb's wool does not contain dyes, bleaches, or harmful chemicals. The wool is washed in a soap-based solution for cleaning purposes.
- Helps Prevent bacteria build-up - wool has the ability to absorb body moisture from perspiration and transport it into the air, which provides for a dry sleeping environment.
- Warm in Winter / Cool in Summer - wool dissipates body heat providing a naturally climate controlled sleeping environment regardless of season.
Hand TuftingEach Royal-Pedic mattress is meticulously hand tufted with European tufting straps to pre-compress the cotton padding for orthopedic back support.
Most other mattresses are not tufted. The padding materials in these "generic construction" mattresses are merely secured to the perimeter edges of the mattress. The advantage to tufting is less body impressions in the mattress because the padding is pre-compressed with the tufting straps, rather than just resting on the surface.
Royal-Pedic Box SpringRoyal-Pedic Box Springs are the most comfortable and durable available: 50% more coils are located in the center-third of the box spring for extra support where it's needed the most (about 40% of our body weight is located in our torso area). The number of coils used in box spring units is 22% more than the industry standard. This higher coil count results in more coils that are closer together, providing additional support for the mattress to prevent lumps in the mattress from developing. The springs are an extra durable 8 3/4" gauge thickness of wire compared to an average 9 1/2" gauge wire used by others. The coils are double heat tempered to resist sagging and provide more durability. Double heat tempering is when the coils are baked in an oven, cooled down and then baked in the oven again. The foundation used to mount the coil springs is an extra wide slat version to provide more support for the coil to rest on - the same width of slat that is required for hotels for the assurance of superior durability.
The box springs are not hand tied. This method of holding the coils in place with cording can result in a lumpy mattress. The cording can and does stretch, which forces the coil out of position on an angle. Instead of hand tied box springs, a wire system called the Webster Lock Grid System is used to keep the coils in place. Steel wire is woven throughout the tops of the coils to secure the coil in place and eliminate the possibility of any lateral movement.
Royal-Flex Innerspring UnitEngineered in Switzerland, the Royal-Flex innerspring unit is the finest offset coil spring system available, with 85% more coils than is standard. These open ended, unknotted six turn coils are more flexible, which means greater sensitivity to body contours, overall body support and minimum friction. The innerspring unit is double heat tempered, a process where the coils are baked in an oven, cooled, then baked again. The heat tempering process provides greater durability and resistance to sag.
The 7-Zone Natural Latex Core
The 7-Zone Natural Latex Mattresses Features:
Go back to: